Home Care - Help in the Home

Home Care Equipment's Gong Life Care Solutions

Home Care - Help in the Home

Gong Life Care Solutions provides quality equipment designed with both users and carers in mind. Our products are unique, and assist safety, comfort, and independence in the home. See them on our website: https://gonglcs.com.au

Getting help in the home

The decision to ask for help in the home isn’t always an easy one, and it’s a conversation that can be hard for all family members. It could be that you or the person you’re caring for doesn’t want to lose the feeling of independence. Or you - or the family member - don’t like the idea of a stranger coming in to provide assistance. Family members who have been providing assistance, perhaps on an “as needs” basis, begin to see that more regular care is needed. This realization can be a sad one, as you become aware that you or the person you are caring for have increasing dependence because of being frailer, less mobile, or in some cases, sicker. If you are a carer, perhaps you are finding it harder to do the usual activities. You may have started a new job with longer hours, more travelling. Or your own health is not the best. Every situation is different. This can be a difficult stage.

What is the first step?

There are a few possibilities for home care.

As above, the informal arrangements with family members or friends helping and providing some respite or specific tasks, can be fine for some time.

When the time comes for increased care or services, arrangements can be made directly with agencies which provide private, fee-for-service assistance in the home, or you can seek government subsidised services through the My Aged Care contact centre (1800 200 422) for assessment with a view to getting in-home support. The assessment is conducted by a trained assessor, usually a registered nurse, social worker or other health care professional.

An older person needing help may be eligible to receive either individual services (with just meal preparation, or housework, for example), or a tailored package of services that could include housework and meal preparation, as well as personal care, transport, and so on.  Assessments can be requested for short-term or respite care purposes, for home help in an on-going way, or for entry to a nursing home. The aim is to help older people manage better at home and improve their wellbeing.

Who provides in-home care?

Trained home care workers provide care as per the needs established during the assessment. A home care worker is often referred to as a support worker, a personal care assistant, a home and community care worker, a care worker, or simply a carer. Most home care workers have a Certificate III or Certificate IV qualification in Aged Care/Ageing Support.  They are employed by organisations whose business is providing services and personal care in the home. These organisations are governed by community-based not for profit agencies, faith-based organizations, or private companies. A care worker provides physical, social and emotional assistance to a person. This may include helping someone with their personal hygiene, housekeeping, shopping, or social activities.  They work actively with elderly people, to maintain independence and safety in the home.

Care workers refer to people they are caring for, as “clients.”  They maintain close contact with their clients and family contacts to plan and carry out the care, to organise appointments, to make changes in services for clients, and to organise case conferences between other caregivers and agencies. They keep up-to-date client file notes, and write “personal centred care plans” in agreement with the client.

Home care which is subsidised by the federal government, is means-tested, so the person receiving care may need to make a contribution towards the cost of care, based on an assessment of income and assets.

Social needs

On-going social connectedness is hugely important for everyone. It helps to keep us physically and emotionally well. Being social is harder of course for people who are more confined to their home due to illness or mobility issues. Care workers will assist in linking clients to social activities in the community, and many places around Australia have the Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) in place. This is an Australian Government-funded program, which recruits volunteers to visit older people in residential aged care or those in receipt of a Home Care package, who are socially isolated. These volunteers provide friendship and companionship through one-on-one visits.


Volunteers from a culturally and linguistically diverse background are recruited, trained and supported in their role as visitors, and they are matched with people of the same cultural background.

Specialised products for use in the home

If you are caring for yourself or someone else at home, and are interested in safer bathing or showering, getting around the house with a lightweight indoor rollator, or sitting more comfortably in bed or chair, talk to us about how our products can meet your needs.

Gong Life Care Solutions is an Australian owned and operated business. 



Please call us if you have any questions about our products, on 1300 907 280, Tues to Fri, 8.00 am – 5.00 pm AEDT

We deliver free anywhere in Australia.

Follow us on -

Website Blog









Move to the top