Ageing and Aged Care in Australia

Gong Life Care Solutions and Aged Care, Home Care

Ageing and Aged Care in Australia

Gong Life Care Solutions is an Australian owned and operated business, which specializes in the supply of innovative, high quality products to assist older people and also their carers. Our equipment has been designed by international manufacturers, with the end user in mind – which can be the older person themselves – or indeed the carer. In our last post we spoke about the importance of back care for carers.

Ageing Population and Ageing in Place

Australia’s population is ageing. Many carers of older people are older people themselves. Baby boomers are living longer and healthier lives, and are more mindful of health matters and lifestyle. It is important that as people age, they have choices about their care. More and more older people are opting to “age in place”, a concept used to describe a person living in the residence of their choice, for as long as they are able to, as they age. In other words, having care, services, and appropriate equipment come to them, rather than making other arrangements such as moving into a retirement village or an aged care facility.

Sometimes it’s as simple as having the correct equipment to meet your needs for independence and safety within your own home. Gong Life Care Solutions supplies several products which fit this description. An example would be a rollator/wheely walker specifically designed for in-home use, to get through doorways easily and around furniture. Like our KMINA rollator. You or the person you care for might benefit from a light, foldable posture-support wheelchair. Like our Strongback Wheelchair. Or a “shower in bed” innovation such as our Aquabuddy-Home equipment. See these and other products designed to improve quality of life and independence, on our website:

Along with the trend for seniors to “age in place”, services, technologies, and innovations have emerged to help older people and their carers to meet daily challenges – making day to day living safer and easier. Older people receive care and assistance from family or friends, where possible, or care may be supplemented or provided by private home care services or government funded services.

As many Australians know, our federal Government is currently conducting a Royal Commission into the quality and safety of aged care services in Australia. This Royal Commission will primarily look at the quality of care provided in residential and home based aged care, to senior Australians.

My Aged Care

The Government introduced My Aged Care in 2013. It is the start point for people (aged 65+ or 50+ for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), to access Australian Government funded services. It consists of the My Aged Care website ( and the My Aged Care contact centre (1800 200 422). If low level assistance is required, people may be eligible for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) to remain living independently in their own home. CHSP is active in all states except Western Australia, which use 'HACC funded services'.

People whose needs are higher than the assistance provided under the CHSP program, may be eligible for one of the four levels of Home Care Packages which are also funded by the Australian Government. Again, all care packages are individually planned and coordinated to help older people to remain living in their own homes.

What help is available? Who's eligible?

The home page of the My Aged Care website “Start Here” tab , leads to a description of the types of help available, and the eligibility:

“You may be eligible for Australian Government funded aged care services if you’re an older person (usually 65+ or 50+ for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) finding it harder to do the things you used to do. You will need to have a face-to-face assessment of your care needs to find out if you are eligible. Everyone who has an assessment through My Aged Care and is found to need services, is eligible to access services that:

•may be partly or fully funded by the Australian Government; and
•are regulated by the Australian Government.

If you’re not assessed as eligible, or are waiting for services, you can access privately funded services at any time.

“You may be eligible to receive services such as:

Help at home

•personal care, like help getting dressed
•modifications to your home, such as hand rails or ramps
•nursing, physiotherapy and other care
•meals and help with cooking
•household jobs like cleaning or gardening
•equipment like walking frames
•social activities.

Short-term help

•when you have had a setback and want to get your independence back
•recovery from an accident or illness, including after a hospital stay
•when you or your carer needs a break (respite care).

Care in an aged care home”

A My Aged Care assessment is a very important part of the process to access government funded aged care services. An assessment will work out your individual care needs, (or the person you are caring for), and what types of care and services you/they may be eligible for. You can make enquiries at My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Gong Life Care Solutions

The team at Gong Life Care Solutions have worked in the Aged Care and the Disability sectors for many years, and understand the respect and care required to meet the individual needs of clients in the community we are serving. We are a responsible local business based in Wollongong, New South Wales. We supply equipment to the whole of Australia, and we deliver free anywhere in Australia.


Please call us if you have any questions about our products, on 1300 907 280
Tues to Fri 8.00am – 5.00pm AEDT

We deliver free anywhere in Australia.

Follow us on -

Website Blog





Move to the top